Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Berlin. day one.


pictured: obligatory tourist photo, Berlin, DE

well.
i made it to Berlin.
just.
11 hours on the bus is a long time.
i've traveled for longer before.
but it was a long time.
i did not eat anything the whole way.
i've gone longer between meals before.
but it was a long time.
an error in communication on my part between my host and me left me out in the Berlin october evening for what i would have sworn at the time was eternity.
i've been out in colder temperatures with less clothing before.
but it was cold. jesus, it was cold.
periodical to-and-fros on the U-bahn helped to keep the blood warm and flowing.
Katja finally arrived and all was well (and thawed) after a hot, calming tea medley. a long, difficult, and at times torturous day comes to a warm and much-needed end.
i throw myself onto the big, comfortable, blood-red sofa in her living room and proceed to sleep a sleep the dead only dream of.

morning in the ever-changing city and i feel full to the brim with life.
a quick study of a map circa 2002 (read: unreliable) before leaving Katja's and i'm off to reacquaint myself with this sprawling wonder of a city.
Berliner Dom (down the street).
the (outside of all of the) museums.
Unter den Linden.
the Brandenburger Tor.
Reichstag (from a few blocks away).
the tiergarten (closed?) and parts of Kreuzberg.
backwards up friedrichstraße.


pictured: History of the Cold War and the Berlin Wall, Friedrichstraße edition.

now i write my notes and rest my legs inside a comfortable, steamy-windowed bistro on the aforementioned street.
Katja took me out tonight to show me around a little more.
more kreuzberg.
prenzlauerberg.
everything, everything, in between.
hidden nightclubs and the locations of secret parties.
this city fascinates. even on a cold night.
coffee and sushi and we're homeward bound and settled in by midnight.

good thing. the weary legs had warned me earlier: let's get some rest tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Since when do you like sushi??

    Nice work on the blog. Sounds like a wonderful journey thus far.

    ReplyDelete