Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Vierwinden - back to Düsseldorf (18 october)


pictured: castle outside Lörrach, DE

saturday, after cafe wilden mann, i spent the day with Sarah and Vanessa, my lörrach hosts.
not only did they put me up thursday night, but they met me saturday, took me to the country for a delectable fleischbraten lunch, and showed me a wonderful mountainside castle ruin.

Jutta finishes work and we're Freiburg-bound.
small (200,000) but delightful student city.
seems it's the beating heart of the Black Forest.
Jutta and i take in the vibrant centre over a drink at Freburger Bierhaus before meeting our next host, NJ-born Liam.
the thoughtful and blond-bearded young wiseman takes us for a late-evening stroll to meet a few other Freiburg couchsurfers for drinks and chatter.
a lovely little group in what seems to be a great place to pass some months, study a passion, and make some new friends.
i'd like to come back here.
and soon.

a quick (much too quick) sightsee sunday morning (i use the term "morning" so loosely i should be thrown in jail) and we've to set our wagons west back towards Düsseldorf.
many thanks to Liam for his last-minute generosity and tour-guide suave.

6+ hours of autobahn can be trying.
i cannot imagine how Jutta must have felt at times, having given me the reins to the VW for the day.
quite an experience for me, too, as someone who grew up within the 110 km per hour limit.

i feel a little bit more german after today.

stop back at Jutta's folks' for an unbelievable supper.
spending time with this family has been a privilege and an honour.
i only hope my pre-school-level conversational german was adequate in conveying my deepest gratitude.

i think i'll take my sunday on monday (that is, make monday sunday), relax, and head NE to Berlin tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment